Travelling with children

Article • July 11, 2020

Authorization to Travel

Travel authorization letter

The Government of Canada strongly recommends that Canadian children carry a consent letter if they’re travelling abroad alone, with only one parent/guardian, with friends or relatives, or with a group.

A consent letter is not a legal requirement in Canada, but it can simplify travel for Canadian children, as immigration authorities may request it when entering or leaving a foreign country or by Canadian officials when re-entering Canada. The letter shows that Canadian children have permission to travel abroad from parents or guardians who aren’t accompanying them. This letter is used to help prevent child trafficking and abduction.

It is recommended that the letter be signed by every non-accompanying person or organization with the legal right to make a major decision for the child, as well as by any non-accompanying parent who has access to the child.

You can create a travel consent letter for free using the interactive form provided by the Government of Canada, which you can find here.

We strongly recommend that the travel consent letter be notarized so as not to have the authenticity of the letter questioned.

Ready to Notarize?