Here is What You Most Need to Know:
So let’s say this right up front: We do not sell or rent or disclose your personal information to third parties such as data brokers or advertisers.
Here are all the specifics:
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information We Collect Directly From You and About You From Other Parties Related To Your Transaction
In general, you must provide to us the following minimum mandatory information in order for us to provide you with your requested Service. If a business or other user is creating or facilitating a Transaction for you, certain of this information may be provided to us by them on your behalf:
- your name;
- your email address;
- your phone number;
- a government-issued form of identification;
- depending upon the Transaction, a secondary form of identification document;
- documents relating to the service requested;
- name and email information, if any, for designated recipients;
- if applicable based on the nature of the Transaction and applicable law, name, phone number, email address, government identity credentials, and other information provided for any other signatories, witnesses or other participants in your Transaction; and
- other Transaction information required for us to provide to you and complete the Service.
The Service we provide on the Site will include a live audio-video link between you, a notary and any witnesses or other participants in the audio-video session (such as, for example, title agents or other permitted parties with a role in a real estate transaction), so that the notary can interact with you and them and, as applicable, make determinations about your identity and witness the signing of relevant document(s) (the “Session Video”). This means that we will capture audio and video of users and others who make use of or participate in the Service and whatever content is displayed during the Session Video. By requesting and participating in the Service, you confirm that all persons depicted in the Session Video are authorized and permitted to participate and have consented to do so.
Information We Collect Automatically
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, IP address, time zone, and some of the cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
- “Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
- “Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Information Collected by Third Parties
Our Site and Service contain a link to a third-party payment provider to enable you to make payment for the Service (in the event your payment obligations to us are not managed through invoicing and other methods of payment). This company acts as separate entity and Controller (as that term is defined by applicable law) in relation to any billing or credit card information, and its processing is not governed by this Policy. We do not hold your billing data, other than records of actual charges and related information, and we are not responsible for the information practices ofnsuch third party.
HOW DO WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We use your personal information for the following purposes, subject to any limitations in applicable law:
A. To fulfill or meet the reason you provided the information, including by providing our Service to you. To communicate with you about your use of our Service, to respond to your inquiries, to process payment, and for other customer service purposes. We use your information to confirm your identity, as applicable, to receive and process your uploaded Documents in order to complete your Transaction and perform all requested post-Transaction processes, to communicate with you, and to maintain records of your Transaction for legal purposes and for your use, verification, and transmittal to receiving parties.
B. To record and preserve information collected and generated in the course of providing the Service including information provided by you and others relating to you, as set forth above, as well as session and audit trail information and the Session Video.
C. To help improve our Site and Service. In doing so we may aggregate the personal information we collect or remove identifying personal information (“de-identifying”) to limit or prevent identification of any specific user or device. To provide the Service and to address issues and resolve problems, we may also use data that has not been aggregated or de-identified. As one example, we may review transactions, including recorded video of those transactions, to help us check for errors or to address an identified issue with a Transaction.
D. To better understand how users access and use our Site and Service, in order to improve our Site and Service and respond to user desires and preferences, and for other data analytical purposes.
E. To comply with contractual, statutory and all other legal obligations, including without limitation the requirements of notarial law including identity verification and recordkeeping, e-signature law, and other laws applicable to transactions on our Platform; to respond to legal or regulatory requests in accordance with law; to enforce and protect our legal rights; as part of our general business operations; and for other business administration purposes.
F. Where we believe necessary to investigate, prevent or take action regarding illegal activities or situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person or violations of this Policy.
SHARING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We share your information as follows:
- Designated Recipients, Transaction Participants And Others With Required Permissions. Documents, the Session Video and other information resulting from the Transaction and our Service will be shared with you and any party with the required authority and/or permissions to see such information after the Transaction is completed. For example, in a real estate transaction, this could include your lender or title agent. It could also include a receiving party that you or another party to your Transaction, who has such authority, gives permission in order to review the information or to verify the Transaction
- To Those With A Legal Right To See Such Information. We will share your information with regulatory agencies, enforcement authorities, parties with a legal subpoena, or members of the public or other parties with the legal right to compel us to provide such information for their review. All such sharing by us will be in accordance with the requirements of applicable law.
- Service Providers. We disclose the information we collect from you to service providers, contractors or agents who facilitate your Transactions by providing services to us. For example, we use a third-party platform (i.e., Zoom) to provide the live video link necessary to create the Session Video.
- In Response to Legal Process. We might also disclose the information we collect from you in order to comply with the law, a judicial proceeding, court order, or other legal process, such as in response to a court order or a subpoena.
- To Protect Us and Others. We will disclose the information we collect from you where we believe it is necessary to investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person, violations of this Policy, or as evidence in litigation in which Notaring is involved.
SECURITY OF YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We have put in place security systems designed to prevent unauthorized access to or disclosure of the personal information you provide to us, and we take all reasonable steps to secure and safeguard this personal information.
Our security systems are structured to deter hackers and others from accessing information you provide to us. However, due to the nature of Internet communications and evolving technologies, we cannot provide assurance that the information you provide us will remain free from loss, misuse, or alteration by third parties who, despite our efforts, obtain unauthorized access.
DO NOT TRACK
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by e-mail at [email protected] or by mail using the details provided below:
206-2430 Don Reid Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1H1E1, Canada