Letter of invitation

Article • July 12, 2020

Toronto V2

Inviting friends or family to Canada

Depending on the country of origin, some foreign nationals wishing to visit Canada must apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (visitor visa). To do so, a letter of invitation is often required from someone in Canada. Once the letter is prepared and notarized, the person visiting Canada must present the original letter along with their application and other required documents to the Canadian embassy or consulate outside of Canada when he or she applies for a temporary resident visa. Some of the information you’re required to include about the person you’re inviting are:

  • Your relationship to the person

  • How long the person plans to stay in Canada

  • Where the person will stay

  • How the person will pay for things

  • When the person plans to leave Canada

Writing a letter of invitation doesn’t mean you’re legally responsible for the visitor once he or she gets to Canada. You should still write the letter in good faith. You must tell the truth and plan to keep the promises you make in the letter.

You can read about the information required for the invitation letter here.

Contact us when you’re ready to have the letter notarized.

Ready to Notarize?